Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On Dec 19, 12:01*pm, notbob wrote:
On 2009-12-19, LDosser wrote:

And GM is cleaning up Saab ...

Did Saab really fall THAT FAR!?

My parents owned (later passed dwn to me) a '68 Saab Monte Carlo w/
the Ford designed V-4 engine. *I've owned and driven a lot of GM iron
and have never seen anything even in the same parallel universe as
good as that old Saab. *A brilliant car.

nb *

I have played. wrenched, hated and enjoyed a whole myriad of european
cars. When I lived in Toronto, I had a garage with a full-size pit.
(The next owner had to have it filled, residential bylaws and all that
****) A lot of co-workers and friends used it to change their oil and
worked on brakes, mufflers etc. One such co-worker had a love affair
with Saab. He had restored a two-stroke, that thing was a riot. It
went like stink (I think that's where the phrase originated as it
smelled quite bit with castrol racing oil in the gas) He and his wife
drove new Saabs and I had the pleasure to drive those magnificent cars
on more than one occasion.
For the longest time, Saabs would give Audis, MiniCoopers and Volvo a
pretty good run on the Rallye circuit.
Great cars and a crying shame to see them go. A shame to see Saturn
get reduced to Opels and then dropped altogether. A shame to see
Pontiac get dropped as well...although not so much.
I have, for sale, a 1996 Saturn SC1 with 270,000 KM on it... all it
ever needed was 2 sets of tires and a brake job. Always starts, A/C
always cold, never a problem. Never. The interior.. well it is kinda
falling apart, seats are shot etc.