Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Chrysler engines

wrote:

-snip-

These people talking about old cars being more durable must be
youngsters. In the 1950's and 1960's, a car that lasted 100k and
remained in pretty good shape was a bit rare and worth mentioning.

And it needed points & condenser every 2500 miles, distributor cap
every 10k, plugs 5-10K?, plug wires in 20k, oil & filter change every
3K, tires that lasted 20K were a miracle. . . . and it cost more to
buy one in real money.

Nowadays, you can buy a bottom of the line Toyota Corolla and expect
that if you keep up with oil changes, it will go 200K without major
trouble - and the body will still be intact.

My daughter's 98 Grand Am just cracked the 200K mark-- and that little
4banger sounds and acts like a new one. And the body-- well, we
have replaced a fender that taught her not to drive too fast in the
snow- but other than that the body has been fine. Pretty good for a
car that spent its life in New York.

I remember having to have my 63 Impala painted in 1970 because the
body was covered in rust holes. And I was impressed that the 283 was
still good at 90k when the transmission died.

Yeah- they don't make 'em like they used to . . . and it is a good
thing they don't.

Jim