Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 17:42:58 +1300, Peter Huebner
wrote:

In article , sails.man2
says...

Somebody wrote:

Now that Ford are
messing with the Volvo design I think that will not be the case any
more, I won't buy another Volvo designed & built since 2006.

FoMoCo wasn't too shabby in the way they cleaned up Jaguar.

Lew

Yes, I understand things at BMC went pretty ****ty for a long time.

But:
To give you an example: the straight5 Volvo engines at 2 or 2.4 litres
with a turbo are great. Quite economical, and capable to turning a 2t
brick ****house of a car into a 'pocket rocket'. I start overtaking some
slow-poke at 50mph, by the time I pass his bonnet I'm doing 75mph and
that's without taking a run-up or anything.

Now Ford/Volvo has seen fit as of 2007 to put a petrol guzzling 3.2
litre engine into the new XC70ies. It doesn't fscking NEED that, it'll
just be a drain on the wallet ... and quite possibly not as good a
motor.

I don't like Ford any more. They sold me what turned out to be a Ford-
rebadged Shibaura tractor, made from crap steel that rotted like
nobody's business within a few years. Some friends drove a Ford-rebadged
Mazda that spent more time in the shop than on the road ... nah. My
local mechanic says the more recent Ford engines are crap in his
opinion, and I won't argue.

f.w.i.w.

If they're going to start reselling Mazdas rebadged as Volvos, then I
might as well go and buy Japanese at half the price in the first place;
hell, I can buy 3 Korean 'luxury vehicles' for the price of one Volvo
for that matter, plus, I'd go Toyota over Mazda any old day of the week.

Anyhow, getting way off topic here now ;-)

-P.

Toyota and Honda are about tie at the top of the Japanese list, with
Mazda a distant but rizing third - Subaru holding onto 4th and Nissan
a more distant 5th, and Mitsu****ty digging themselves out of last
place. Somewhere down close to the bottom you have Suzuki bouncing
around too.

On the world market Daihatsu holds a pretty good position too.

Then there's the Koreans - Definitely coming up fast after Toyota and
Honda's lunch!!!!!