Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth the car?

explained :
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:06:50 -0000, "Vortex4" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I'm thinking of building in one of those Lidl battery chargers in the old
car. So it can be left on float when not in use.

How about "dodgem car" style.

Park one wheel on a metal plate and some kind of ceiling contact. Ground
the plate as well.

I've got no idea how many ohms a tyre would present in circuit...but surely
a small enough figure to trickle charge a battery?

Many many years ago when I had a vehicle with an unreliable battery I
did something like that. Two radio aerials on the car roof one
connected to + other to the body work. Hanging in the garage a couple
of wire coat hangers stuck in a wooden beam and connected to the
charger.
aerials touched hangers and connection made without faffing around
with plugs.

G.harman

To do that the more modern way, you would have the mains connected
primary winding of a transformer hanging from the ceiling at a suitable
height and the secondary winding on the car roof.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)