Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

On Dec 18, 8:30*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Dec 18, 1:32*pm, RickH wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:55*am, dgk wrote:

House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a stall
shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is going to
get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a shower and
using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a big sink/vanity
like the Significant Other wants, but several friends say that a
separate shower is a big convenience and selling point. Apparently
many people won't consider buying a house without a stall shower.

I suppose the correct answer is to do whatever we want to do. Neither
of us is quite near an age where climibing over a tub wall is a big
challenge. Still, I was shocked at the number of people who told me
that I'd be crazy to remove a stall shower.

Why you asking here when you already have your marching orders?

She is right, take out the shower, replace the old tub with a larger
tub and multiple-head shower, and definitely put in two sinks.
Because a large vanity with only one sink is a waste, whereas a two
sink vanity is a "marriage saver" and very good for resale. *More
people demand a bathroom with two sinks, than demand a bathroom with a
stall shower. *Especially if the tub is new, big and has a multi-head
shower too thats better than a stall.
* More people demand a bathroom with two sinks, than demand a bathroom with a

stall shower. *

and you have data to support this claim?

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Take it from me, all married women want a double vanity. And after 10
years of marriage the men wish they had a sink of their own too, and a
few square inches of space without makeup, lipstick, and other female
stuff laying all over the place. Women will take over a sink very
quickly. A double vanity is a no-brainer if given the choice of two
redundant places to bathe at the expense of the extra sink.

One can always install a shower door on a tub to make a fine 6 foot by
3 foot shower stall, so you have to step over, big deal. And at one
tenth the price of making a 6x3 foot stall out of mud and tile.