Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default AC Adapter questions...

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:19:37 +1100, Bob Larter
wrote:

On 18/12/2009 12:35 AM, Col.Phorbin wrote:
Is there a problem if I just use the AC adapter I have? Will it burn
out or anything since it doesn't match? I don't have any other
adapters and I can't find any that match perfectly. The best I found
was a 12 volt 2.5 amp adapter for 40 bucks! Is going over in amps a
problem?

Yes. You'll either blow its fuse, or cook it. Get the right adapter.

No. It's something like turning on the kitchen sink. The city water
company has enough capacity to fill 10's of thousands of sinks at the
same time, but only the amount of water your pipes and faucet will
carry come out of your faucet. Over-capacity is not dangerous.

Water company capacity (maximum output, quantity of water per unit of
time) is analogous to maximum amperage.

OTOH, water pressure that is much too high can make weak pipes leak or
burst, which is analogous to burning out an electrical device. (I
think it can make the toilet tank keep filling after it is full, and
maybe other things.) Water pressure is analogous to voltage.