Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where it all began.....

On Dec 18, 7:36*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

The difference that's relevant here
is that the tolerance of racist expressions, both subtle and overt, is
vastly higher there than it is here. You probably don't even notice it
because you live in it.

One needs to remember that New Jersey and NYC have had race riots
about forty years ago. No exactly something that inspires the feeling
that area is a melting pot with no notice of race. Or that those
areas are socially progressive.

You're reaching around for something, Don, but I don't know quite what it
is. The fact is that the attitudes towards racism are very different where
you are versus where I am. Witness the disagreements here by several people;

Agreed. Some people see race everywhere. Some people see
individuals.

I'm sure that rangersucks, and Winston, and some others recognize that
"heartland conservative" attitude that you and Dan have expressed, and
further recognize how different it is from the common attitudes in socially
progressive areas like this one.

I spent over thirty five years in the Seattle area and only recently
moved. Are you saying that Seattle is a place of " heartland
conservative " attitudes? Before you answer consider that Obama got a
higher percentage of the popular vote in Washington State than in New
Jersey.

My impression is that New York City and the surrounding area is highly
segregated. You have neighborhoods that are considered to be Irish,
Jewish, Black, Italian, Chinese, Puerto rican, etc..

There's a lot more to it and I'm sure there are better ways to describe it,
but I think the opinions expressed in this thread identify the issue pretty
well.

--
Ed Huntress