Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Where it all began.....

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:39:07 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:47:34 -0700, wrote:

The evolutionist view
suggests that we're all descended from monkeys.

No, it does not, nitwit.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/li...faq/cat02.html

OK, ya got me on evolution accuracy there and "monkey" does seem to be
the term that some find offensive here -- though all objectors in this
thread are, I think, caucasian liberals. There's a huge distance
between moral high ground politically-correct pretense and honest
no-bull**** tolerance.

Your gratuitous insult "nitwit" noted. That may reinforce your
argument for the thick and slow whose opinion you may endeavor to
shape.

Do you have non-white neighbors near you? Probably not since you
live off-grid remotely. Does Ed? Possibly, what say you Ed?

On my little cul-de-sac there are black, Korean, and Asian Indian
families.
I live in one of the most ethnically diverse townships in the United
States.
We're 55.8% white; London is 69.4% white. Our Asian Indian population is
the
highest in the US by a factor of two: 17.3%. London's Indian population is
6.5%:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_...J#Demographics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

If I recall correctly, you live in Fridley, Minnesota: 88.65% white, 3.4%
black, 2.9% Asian.

Yabut those statistics' "perception" must be wrong. chuckle

None of which addresses the issue.

Exactly.

I don't know how much time you've spent
in the NYC suburbs, but I've spent a lot of time in the upper Midwest,
including living there for eight years. The difference that's relevant
here
is that the tolerance of racist expressions, both subtle and overt, is
vastly higher there than it is here. You probably don't even notice it
because you live in it.

Took the words out of my mouth.

As I said, that's characteristic of conservative communities. Slow to
change
attitudes, generally inward-focused, they're the foot-draggers in racial
and
ethnic integration in this country.

That's not to say that they're overtly racist or intolerant. There's a big
difference between being tolerant and being actively anti-discriminatory.
My
community is active in that department, and the sensitivity and reaction
racial slurs, ethnic "jokes," and discriminatory attitudes is quite high.

Wish I could say the same about my area. Remember McCain supporting
Mecham's fulfillment of his promise to cancel the MLK holiday in AZ?
That crap went on into the 90s, and still goes over well with the
rednecks here. "We're not racists, we're just against holidays"
snorf An example of what passes for racial tolerance in my rural
area is one neighbor commenting on another ... "he's OK for a n*&&er".
As much as I like rural living, the higher percentage of jackasses is
lamentable.

It's one reason I can't get my wife to move. g

Gunner's racist "joke" would not be tolerated here.

Again, wish I could say the same. I hear the N word in person several
times each year, and several more times in print on Usenet as in this
example.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...547e8bdece2d18

Ooh, I missed that one. I don't read the compressor or the three-phase
threads. If I had seen that, I would have given it my standard reply:

"Eat **** and die, you stinking racist pig."

Every last one of them would deny being a racist on account of knowing
a minority etc. I liked Colbert's riff, a case where the picture
pretty much tells the whole joke.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/wi...olbertAlan.png

Wayne