Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

On Dec 18, 8:50*am, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:12:48 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:
"dgk" wrote

House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a stall
shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is going to
get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a shower and
using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a big sink/vanity
like the Significant Other wants, but several friends say that a
separate shower is a big convenience and selling point. Apparently
many people won't consider buying a house without a stall shower.

In a 12x40 tract home, loss of the shower as a separate stall is not a big
issue. *Loss of the tub (with added shower head) *is*. *You have only a sink
and toilet in the other one.

I won't even stay more than one night in a hotel, without a tub. *Given a
choice, based on the space, I'd keep the stall and the tub and SO that the
sink can only be (measure, add size) bigger. *If SO's desires meet yours,
remove stall and put in bigger vanity.

Note almost every reply you got was from guys who take showers almost
exclusively. *I may as well sometimes, but I want the option and use the tub
2-3 times a week. *So does Hubby and daughter.

This does seem to be mostly a male dominated newsgroup so some of the
lack of warmth towards a tub is understandable and the curve will be
appropriatedly adjusted.

Here, let me re-adjust it.

What's the point in having the bathroom be a palace? It's the place
where I
****/shower/shave/brush and get out.

When we remodel our lone bathroom, my husband and I want to take out
the tub and put in a shower. Of course, we intend to leave the house
feet first, so affecting the resale value is not an issue.

Cindy Hamilton