Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:33:43 -0500, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I've had a major hankering after a first-generation Celica for a few
months... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

I don't know which generation was which year, but when I came to the US
from Australia at the end of 1977, I saw Celicas that looked
considerably different from - and inferior to -- the ones I had been
seeing in Australia for the past year or two. The internals might have
been the same, but I much preferred the styling of the Australian ones.

Interesting. I found that with a lot of the old Holdens when I was in Oz
and NZ - lots of them were based on US models, but somehow they just had
that little bit more grace and elegance in the styling...

And actually, when I say "first generation Celica", I think I'd aim for
one of the post-'75 ones after they gave them the facelift. Problem with
my being in the US is that I think all of the US ones may have had ****ty
rubber bumpers added - the Oz ones just had chrome as Toyota intended.

I'm a self-confessed sucker for '70s cars with quad headlights...

cheers

Jules