Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Chrysler engines

I remember when I was a real little kid my dad had an old
beater
Valiant - I think it was a '64 or thereabouts. He was
always having
problems with the carburetor on it... years later I dated a
girl with
a '69, that car had a Holley 1bbl and it too had issues.
Replaced the
carb with a Carter and it ran splendiferously ever after.

CY: Those carbs were interesting, you could actually adjust
them. I found the adjustment that worked for me was lightly
closed, and then out 3 half turns. The vacuum lines always
wanted to fall off. If the vac line fell off (the one to the
air cleaner) the car ran poorly.

Only
problems with it after that point were a ballast resistor
that failed,

CY: And the engine didn't run. I learned to carry spare
ballast resistors. As also did most Chrysler owners.

and the fact that the points would burn just about every 9
mos. like
clockwork (maybe due to a off spec replacement ballast?)

CY: Burning points is typically due to bad condensor. They
are replaced as a set.

then she had
to have the head redone because she didn't adjust the valves
(probably
ever) and burned one.

CY: Most likely, never. Few people do.

Other than that it was a very reliable car,
wish I had it today.

CY: A starter and alternator every year and a half?

nate