Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default left hand boring bar

"mikec" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 10:28 am, Mark Rand wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:46:13 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

wrote:

looking for a left hand boring bar; C6 or m42 tip , small radius
cutting edge is acceptable. Anybody got a lead on where I can buy one
of these?

Why? Explain the job and you might get a better idea how to do it.

The only thing i could think of is left hand inside threading, but he's
not
looking for a thread tool. But it got me thinking, I don't know how to
cut a
left hand thread on my manual lathe anyway. How is this done?

You'll need one if you put it in the side hole of a boring head :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

EXACTLY!!! That is what I'm doing.......very large hole.

We never had any of them fancy "Store-Bought" tools when I was young. We
made boring bars by drilling a hole in a steel bar. I have some that the
hole is drilled at a 45 deg angle and some perpendicular. A HHS tool bit
fits in the hole and is held with a set screw.