Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default left hand boring bar

Robert Nichols wrote:
Note: E-mailed *and* posted.

In article ,
mikec wrote:
:On Dec 17, 10:28=A0am, Mark Rand wrote:
: On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:46:13 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
:
: wrote:
:
: looking for a left hand boring bar; C6 or m42 tip , small radius
: cutting edge is acceptable. Anybody got a lead on where I can buy one
: of these?
: ...
: Why? =A0Explain the job and you might get a better idea how to do it.
:
: The only thing i could think of is left hand inside threading, but he's =
:not
: looking for a thread tool. But it got me thinking, I don't know how to c=
:ut a
: left hand thread on my manual lathe anyway. How is this done?
:
: You'll need one if you put it in the side hole of a boring head :-)
:
: Mark Rand
: RTFM
:
:EXACTLY!!! That is what I'm doing.......very large hole.

Your mill can't run its spindle in reverse?????????????

Many of the boring heads use a threaded fitment to the arbor so you
can't run them in reverse unless you take special precautions to stop
them coming undone.