Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

mm wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:49:23 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a
stall shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is
going to get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a
shower and using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a
big sink/vanity like the Significant Other wants, but several
friends say that a separate shower is a big convenience and
selling point. Apparently many people won't consider buying a
house without a stall shower.

I suppose the correct answer is to do whatever we want to do.
Neither of us is quite near an age where climibing over a tub
wall is a big challenge. Still, I was shocked at the number of
people who told me that I'd be crazy to remove a stall shower.

Take out the stupid tub and leave the shower. The only thing even
close to being as useless as a tub

I like baths. I watch tv while I soak.

Also good for washing children too big for a bathinette, and probably
the smaller one's too. Try to get two people in a shower. And it's
good for washing big things. Or storing a live fish until it's time
to cook it.

is a shower in one.

Huh. It's easy to take a shower in a bathtub.

Also, when your furnace doesn't work, nothing else increases the
humidity and feeling of warmth as does a shower into a stopped bath
tub. Leave the bathroom door open and be sure to turn off the water
before the bathtub overflows. Then let the water sit there until it
cools off.

(Second best is boiling water on the stove.)

Obviously you don't live in a very cold area, boiling water would do next to
nothing if my furnace went out (increasing humidity is a bad idea if the
house is cooling of in below freezing weather) --- I would stoke up the wood
stove.