Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

dgk wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:09:23 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

dgk wrote:

House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a stall
shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is going to
get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a shower and
using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a big sink/vanity
like the Significant Other wants, but several friends say that a
separate shower is a big convenience and selling point. Apparently
many people won't consider buying a house without a stall shower.

I suppose the correct answer is to do whatever we want to do. Neither
of us is quite near an age where climibing over a tub wall is a big
challenge. Still, I was shocked at the number of people who told me
that I'd be crazy to remove a stall shower.

I'd seriously look at the house floorplan and see if it would be
possible to add a nice master bath, potentially with a small addition.
Depending on the details, adding such a new bath may not cost much more
than remodeling (replacing) an existing one.

Rowhouse, 18' by 40' or so. My neighbors are very nice but might
object to me moving into their bathroom.

Yep, that would limit your options some. My point though for homes where
there is some expansion room, is that if you're trying to remodel a
bathroom to make it roomier, and buying new fixtures, flooring, etc. in
a lot of cases it may not cost that much more to frame out a small
addition or steal space from an oversized living room to add a nice new
master bath.