Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default Testing Germanium transistors.

HOWEVER, the '62 GE Transistor Manual had a circuit for a transistor
tester. I'll give you the words for an NPN. Do the appropriate
inversion for the PNP.

6 volt battery, push button gain switch, 0-3 mA meter with Zin 760
ohms.

Leakage: Collector directly to +6v. Base open. Emitter directly to
+ Meter lead. - meter lead to - 6v through a 680 ohm resistor

Gain: Directly as Leakage but base to + 6v through a 200K resistor.

Notes:

Battery check: 560 ohm resistor between emitter and collector. Meter
reads full scale or battery is below minimums.

Leakage: Insert transistor into socket. Meter reads leakage.

Gain: Press gain switch button. Gain is meter reading minus leakage
reading.

Best I could do.

Jim

There was a circuit published in a very old copy of The Radio Constructor
that nulls out the leakage before measuring gain, but I was wondering about
an AC gain tester, I could maybe calculate leakage from volt drop on the
collector resistor or include a cheap mc meter in the collector load.

Attached Thumbnails
Testing Germanium transistors.-page2-jpg  Testing Germanium transistors.-page3-jpg  Testing Germanium transistors.-page1-jpg