Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Band saw cutting question

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
This is a question for those knowledgable about bandsaws. I have a Ryobi
9" bandsaw, BS903 (I think...). I comes with a 1/4" blade. I'm trying to
do a straight cut through a piece of weed that is 2" high, and 1.5 inches
thick and about 2 feet long. I need to make the cut 3 inches deep. When I
do it, I can't get the cut straight, and it appears that the blade
wanders a bit back and forth. It's not much, maybe up to 1/8 of an inch,
but it's enough to make it very clear that it isn't a straight line. I
have the blade guides adjusted fairly tight, about 1/64" on both sides of
the blade, and don't think I could adjust them any closer. I'm thinking
of getting a wider blade, say a 3/8 6t blade. Any band saw experts care
to comment on what I can do to get a straight cut, and if a wider blade
will help?

The manual is a bit fuzzy about adjusting blade tension, and I really
have no clue how to tension the blade. The manual just says to tighten it
until it makes a sound like a guiter string when you pluck it. wtf? Are
they serious?

WHERE DO YOU GET WEED THAT BIG? HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY? CAN YOU SCORE A
COUPLE OF STICKS FOR ME?

Man, you took the words right out of my pipe....
--
EA

Steve ;-)