Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

On Dec 17, 4:23*pm, Swingman wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

According to the book, "Small Wonder," the beetle was designed by Dr.
Porsche and the basic design was so good that only refinements were made
over its long manufacturing run. *IMHO, if there's any secret to VW's
beetle, it was that they got lots and lots of feedback from owners
bringing the car in with the little glitches. If there was consistency to
a glitch, like a door handle that kept breaking, VW would design a new
and improved one and start using them. *The product was continually
refined and improved, within the limitations of the basic design or
concept.

I had an '71 Super Beetle and felt it was an excellent car if you
overlooked the lack of heat in IN/MI winters. grin
ISTR hearing a long time ago, that when VW asked for an independent
evaluation of the design, the only suggestion made was to increase the
size of the rear window -- which they did, of course.

They could'a also put the battery on top of the car and that would'a been a
better place than under the back seat.

You obviously never had to deal with a Renault 4CV??

* ... now that car was NOT a good example of "European engineering"!

My Dad got one for his work car in the 50's and it was a constant battle
keeping it running.

It's where I learned how to use a bolt extractor, removing twisted off
head bolts, which they frequently did.

Then again, it was French ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Funny you should mention the French. In the early 50's, the DS Ciroen
has a whole whack of brilliant ideas incorporated in their cars.
(NOT talking about the execution of those ideas, because that is
another thread/book/internet)
Stuff like front-wheel drive, steerable headlights, pneumatic-
adjustable suspension, low drag co-efficient, collapsable steering
wheel etc.
The 2CV (Ugly Duckling) transported a lot of college kids all over
Europe. Cheap, easy to fix, great on fuel, but don't ever end up in
the middle of the back-seat because you will hurt...or so I'm told.

During practice laps for the Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal, Thiery
Boutson's Renault had a sound unlike anything I had ever heard.
He won. Air actuated valves. No camshaft(s) They could adjust the size
of and shape of the 'soft-ware' lobe and duration and height of valve
lift as the car was going around the track. The French are not stupid.
and
then
there
was