Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
CW[_5_] CW[_5_] is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

"Leon" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
J. Clarke wrote:

John Silber, former president of Boston College, was asked what one thing
could be done to improve the quality of education in America. He
answered: "Abolish colleges of education."

Sounds exactly like the typical "former" employee with an ax to grind
would say.

I'd say get rid of public education and all the bureaucracy that come
with it. Privatize it.

I would agree with you if it was workable but, unfortunately, its not. There
would be many people that could not afford it thus not sending their kids to
school. This is for k true 12. If college is what you meant, I completely
agree with you. Yes, far fewer people would go to college but a college
degree would mean something. I attended two colleges. The first one was
private. It was quite good. No restrictions from government control,
instructors were hired for their knowledge and experience. When hiring, they
put no stock whatsoever in a teaching degree. All instructors had experience
in the fields that they were teaching,rather than just reading about it.
Students were there to learn, not just to spend time. This was maintained by
strict policies If you were a troublemaker or in any way interfering with
others abilities to get the education they were paying for, you would be
expelled, If you could not maintain a reasonable grade average, you would be
given the chance to either transfer to something you could handle or you
would be asked to leave. They would not tolerate an underachiever dragging
the rest of the students down. You were given every opportunity to excel. A
fair amount of their funding was in the form of donations from local
business that saw it as an investment in future employees. No donations were
excepted with conditions attached. Kept everyone honest. The second one was
a government funded local college that was considered one of the best in the
area. If that was the best, I would hate to see the worst. Very few of the
instructors were top rate. In one class, people would come to me instead of
the instructor as I new more about the subject than he did. Trouble makers
were tolerated and failing grades were upgraded to passing to ensure that
the student would continue to go there as their government funding was
attached to body count rather than academic achievement. There was, of
course, students that came from other government programs, such as
vocational rehabilitation, that were virtually granted a diploma.