Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

Leon wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

According to the book, "Small Wonder," the beetle was designed by Dr.
Porsche and the basic design was so good that only refinements were made
over its long manufacturing run. IMHO, if there's any secret to VW's
beetle, it was that they got lots and lots of feedback from owners
bringing the car in with the little glitches. If there was consistency to
a glitch, like a door handle that kept breaking, VW would design a new
and improved one and start using them. The product was continually
refined and improved, within the limitations of the basic design or
concept.

I had an '71 Super Beetle and felt it was an excellent car if you
overlooked the lack of heat in IN/MI winters. grin

ISTR hearing a long time ago, that when VW asked for an independent
evaluation of the design, the only suggestion made was to increase the
size of the rear window -- which they did, of course.

They could'a also put the battery on top of the car and that would'a been a
better place than under the back seat.

You obviously never had to deal with a Renault 4CV??

... now that car was NOT a good example of "European engineering"!

My Dad got one for his work car in the 50's and it was a constant battle
keeping it running.

It's where I learned how to use a bolt extractor, removing twisted off
head bolts, which they frequently did.

Then again, it was French ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net