Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure Treated Wood Rotting

On Dec 16, 5:48*pm, " wrote:
On Dec 16, 11:52 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Dec 16, 10:34 am, Tony wrote:

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:25:29 -0500, Tony wrote
Re Pressure Treated Wood Rotting:

This doesn't include any recent pics with roses in front of the wall and
other landscaping to the left and around the steps, also a little
goldfish pond at the far left.

Nice job. I notice that you didn't need much of a footing for the
wall. Are you in a relatively southern locality?

Yes, Eastern Tennessee. If I had thought of it at the time I may have
dug it down a little more to be sure. I haven't seen any movement and I
suppose it can move a bit without damage since the only place I used
mortar was in the steps.

I can't argue that rock would not need replacing. But while I'd like
to see the pt lumber hold up better my wall is only about 25 ft long
and at it's highest point only 4 boards tall. It took a day to tear
it down, weed out the unsalvageable boards and rebuild it.

I have no choice about having a wall. It is along one side of the
driveway and there are trees in the ground that would have to be
removed to get an acceptable natural slope instead of a wall.

plant dense ground cover over slope and tree roots.

ivy isnt pretty but it does the job.............

but hey its your back and your money so it really doesnt matter- Hide quoted text -

I've got trees and bushes in a natural area that is about 2 ft higher
than the drive at the highest point. Some of the trees and bushes are
less than 2 feet from the edge. I would have a slope greater that
45deg. I like ivy and other ground cover and I have used it in a
number of places but it has to establish. Structures are established
when you finish building them.