Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

dgk wrote:

House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a stall
shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is going to
get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a shower and
using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a big sink/vanity
like the Significant Other wants, but several friends say that a
separate shower is a big convenience and selling point. Apparently
many people won't consider buying a house without a stall shower.

I suppose the correct answer is to do whatever we want to do. Neither
of us is quite near an age where climibing over a tub wall is a big
challenge. Still, I was shocked at the number of people who told me
that I'd be crazy to remove a stall shower.

I'd seriously look at the house floorplan and see if it would be
possible to add a nice master bath, potentially with a small addition.
Depending on the details, adding such a new bath may not cost much more
than remodeling (replacing) an existing one.