Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On 12/17/2009 5:01 AM dadiOH spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The single exception I can think of is the Graflex press cameras
(Crown and Speed Graphics), made here in the US and used around the
world up through the 1970s.

Thank heavens they expired

Why do you say that?

I still say that the Crown Graphic (which I have) is the single best
cost-effective way for people to break into large-format (4x5)
photography, even at this late date. They're still available on eBay for
very reasonable prices, along with fantastic lenses. They may not be all
one would want in a view camera: limited movements, no rotating back,
etc. But compared to the Lexuses and Mercedes of LF cameras, relatively
speaking, they're a great deal. And they were extremely well-made.

The next step would be a Busch press camera, also American-made.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet