Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)

"David Combs" wrote in message

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if the jack contacts were bent
and no longer make good contact with the plug. But it's
also quite possible that a drop of contact cleaner and
a few insertion/extraction cycles will clear up the
symptoms.

As far as being a watchmaker, well, when something
already doesn't work, I'm not intimidated to take it
apart. Your skill set might surprise you.

I'll second that. OP is already in 'nothing to lose'
territory. And I sure wouldn't replace it with the same
brand and model, if I couldn't fix it.

--
aem sends...

This thing is a Sansa Clip -- like I say, the thing is
maybe just under 2 inches tall, one inch wide, and maybe
1/4 thick.

It's a NEAT device!

And THAT sems to work ok -- the electronics, sound
quality,
FM, etc.

Taking it apart looks non simple, indeed!

I mean, no obvious place to unscrew something.

Right - my MicroTrack was made that way. They are held together by catches
molded into the plastic case. Cracking the case takes skill, patience, and a
tool that can apply enough pressure to the seam, without scratching up the
plastic.