Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Split Frozen or Thawed Wood - Slightly OT

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:29:57 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

-snip-

It's a 25 year-old Sears heatolator type of fireplace. Glass doors
and outside air pipeline for make-up combustion air, 3 layer of metal
chimney pipe where outside air flows down thru the outer layer and
then just above the fireplace makes a u-turn and mixes with the
combustion output air and goes back up to the top which is several
feet above the roof line.

-snip-
a project to do. The wood is pretty dry as it was cut down early this
year and the trees were not very healthy to start with and the wood
has been out of the rain, but in sunshine for 6 months now.

Still not ready to burn this year. Split it and stack it for next
year. A chimney fire waiting to happen.

I'd certainly keep a close eye on it-- but I used to burn fresh ash,
beech & maple in a Franklin style fireplace/stove. They burn hot
and not all that efficiently--- but I never had a bit of creosote in
my chimney.

Lived there 6 years. Checked the chimney every fall & could always
see the liner all the way up. The only seasoned wood I ever burned
was old, untreated, telephone poles of red cedar & locust.

Jim