Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Split Frozen or Thawed Wood - Slightly OT

On Dec 16, 7:02*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:14:40 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
I have a lot of wood to split for firewood sometime this winter. *It
is currently frozen. *Is it easier to split frozen or thawed wood,
assuming that moisture content is the same in either case?

Well, speaking from experience with rock elm, most definitely frozen.
Split like glass. Thawed you REALLY worked up a sweat!!

My only experience with frozen goes way back into the 40s and 50s. We
heated then with pine and fir. Frozen pine 2' rounds would split just
by dropping an ax blade twice in the same spot - didn't even have to
swing it. Easiest splitting I have ever doen.

Harry K