Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default A cord is a cord, of course, of course ......

Harry K wrote:
On Dec 15, 7:05 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I saw once where they took lengths of rounds, full cuts of tree trunk, and
stacked them 8' x 8' x 4' to equal 128 cubic feet. They then split the
wood, and had a lot more than a cord.
I saw an ad that a man was selling cords of wood for $140, and rounds for
$100, but not specifying the quantity on the rounds. If it is a cord of
rounds, I can split it with my splitter, and I would estimate that I could
get nearly two cords out of that. For $100 vs. $140, that would be a good
deal.
Does anyone know what the conversion factor would be? Cord for cord, at $40
cheaper, the rounds are a better deal.
Steve

ACTUALLY, if the split wood is stacked properly, it will take up less
space than the rounds. Thus, a cord of PROPERLY stacked and split wood
is more wood than the rounds it came from.

steve- Hide quoted text -

That is a common misconception. Any given pile of rounds will gain
about 10 percent volume after splitting. YOu cannot pack a round of
wood into less space than nature already has no matter how you split
it.

Prove it for yourself:

Take long, tapered carrot and slice it into rounds. Paack those
rounds as tightly as you can into a jar or box lid.

Dump them out, split them into halfs, quarters or finer ifyou want and
try to put them back into the same space. They will not go.

This was a big, repeated topic over the years on the 'firewood..."
forum at arboristsite.com. Someone finally did a couple of
experiments usign actual wood and proved it.

An oddity in the discussions is someone would always point out that
you could put split pieces into all the waste space between the rounds
- overlooking that that would only increase the amount of wood in the
load of rounds.
It is also false as ther ewill be only a few "holes" big enough to
take anything but a stick of kindling.
Harry K

This whole thread is a crock pot of hog **** soup. I suppose, using
YOUR theory, if you run it all through a chipper, it would take a full
sized dump truck to haul a cord. LMAO! I really don't give a **** what
a bunch of pencil pushing college boys think they proved. If you make
smaller pieces, you have less air space. If you split a given amount of
firewood, it will fit in a smaller space. Period.

steve