Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall taping garage question

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:22:41 -0600, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

stryped wrote:
I have a detached garage that is 30x30 with 10 foot ceiligns that was
just built. The outside is metal and standard stud walls in the inside
with 2 feet on center studs for the most part.

I am debating drying to drywall the walls myself. I bought a drywall
book and have been reading it.

It suggested in a garage with tall ceilings to use drywall installed
vertically to eliminate butt seams which I understand.

In theory, you should have no problem hanging vertically. In theory,
there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there
is. In other words, what do you do if the 24" stud spacing is off a bit?
Do you own a drywall stretcher?

Same applies with the drywall horizontal - just not quite as often.
I'd definitely go vertical IF you can buy 10 ft drywall locally. Here
all that was available was 8 and 12. Horizontally you WILL have 2
joints regardless.

However, there is a section in the book that stated in a garage there
is, "clearly no need to do three coats of compound in the tapered
edges of the drywall". Meaning, really the only coat of drywall mud
needed is the tape embedding coat.

There's a 'two' hiding out there between the author's "no need to do
three" and your "one".

A very acceptable job can be done with 2 and a sponge - no sanding
required (acceptable for a garage - not a parlour)

Will it produce aceptable results using self adhesive mesh tape on the
joints, then one coat of 6 inch wide or so mud to cover the tape? I
know the tapered part of the drywall is probably wider than this. Will
you be able to tell once it is painted?

It all depends on what level of finish you're willing to accept. Doing
nothing is often acceptable. If you like how it looks after one coat of
mud then stop there. If not, give it another.

Don't try to fill out a seam with a 6" knife.

Also remember that the mesh tape isn't compatible with drying type
compound. (and many will tell you that mesh tape is crap, even with
setting type compound)

I plan to prime with flat
white ceiling paint then to top coat with a semi gloss. (I think white
also right now but not 100% sure).

Primer is not paint. Paint is not primer. Use primer, then paint.

Or use a good self priming paint. They DO exist, and they DO work.
Still requires 2 or 3 coats though, and generally primer is cheaper.