Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Engraving Brass Name Plates

Best bet is with a D point engraving point that is turning fast.
If you are mechanically dragging take the paper off! More force in reverse.

Martin

wrote:
On Dec 16, 3:49 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
Thanks guys. I got my stock of brass name plates in a while back and they
all have a paper coating on the finished side. I was wondering if I would
get a better looking result if I engraving it first peel and then peel the
paper or if I peel it first. I am using a spring loaded drag engraver in my
mini mill to do the engraving. Figured I would mill a tight pocket in a
block of wood and just drop the plates in it to do the work. Then there is
no messy fidgeting around with placement.

Regardless of how many answers you get here, I would try both.
Engraving it first might be better because you do not get scratches on
the smooth surface. Or it might be worse because it is a pain to peel
the paper off after engraving.

One experiment is worth ten theories. Please let us know what you
find out.

Dan