Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Winch power supply

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:21:54 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 15, 10:03Â*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:14:15 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools

wrote:
On Dec 15, 12:08Â*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I have a winch I can buy for $200 that is almost brand new. Â*It is a 12v.
Vortec 9500 # winch. Â*I can use it for some skidding I need to do onto my
trailer, but then, would hang it on an I beam dolly for hoisting. Â*Since it
is 12v. Â*what would I use as a power supply that would give me the same as
an automotive setup?

Steve

Most 12volt winches are not rated as hoists. None of them are rated for
overhead use either as many don't have proper braking or spools rated
for it.

--
Steve W.

Correct...your $200 winch is NOT a hoist.

People have died because they haven't understood the difference.

The law of gravity applies to everyone...and doesn't give a damn if
you get killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TMT

Â*A 2000 lb winch makes a pretty acceptable 200 lb hoist.- Hide quoted text -

Not when it fails.

And that is WHEN it fails...not IF it fails.

And yes you can make it work...until that day it fails.

TMT

With a load factor of 10:1, the chance of failure is not much greater
than the chance of failure with a Chinese built Northern Machine chain
falls.

But do not ecxede 1/10 of rated pull strength when using as a hoist.