Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On 12/16/2009 4:26 PM Tim Daneliuk spake thus:

On 12/16/2009 5:56 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

The single exception I can think of is the Graflex press cameras (Crown
and Speed Graphics), made here in the US and used around the world up
through the 1970s.

These were- and are- wonderful cameras. They're even better when you
throw away the coke bottle lenses (Ektars) that came with them and shove
a nice German Schneider onto the snout of the camera

I disagree; I have a Crown with the Ektar 127mm lens, and it's sharp as
a tack. The lens to stay away from here, apparently, and surprisingly,
is the Xenar, which is usually a great piece of glass but for some
reason the ones found with Graphics usually suck. The Optars that a lot
others come with is just so-so.

What I'd really like to get my hands on would be one of Kodak's wide
field Ektars (speaking of quality American-made stuff). Check these out
on eBay--they usually sell for really big $$$. (Of course, a Super
Angulon would be nice too ...)

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet