Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
CW[_5_] CW[_5_] is offline

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
This post is aimed at all you sinophobes out there.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing the complaint "___ is a piece of
****: what do you expect? It's made in China!".

Now it is true that a lot of crap--boatloads of it, literally--does come
from that great country. We've all seen it, used it, chucked it out.

But bear in mind the historical precedent: some of you are probably old
enough to remember the similar tarring of anything that had the label
"Made in Japan" on it. Anything Japanese was considered worthless. Compare
to today.

I have made this point on this newsgroup and elsewhere. At the time "made in
Japan" meant junk, I lived in Japan. You could buy anything you could ever
want. The quality ranged from junk to the finest quality you'd find
anywhere. Lots of the technology in common use there had not even been seen
in the US (at least not by Joe Average).What perpetuated the "Japanese junk"
idea was the American importers. Junk was extremely cheap, so much so that,
even with a substantial markup, they could still sell it cheap enough here
that people would buy it. They (the importers) new that high quality was
available but there was no moony in it. The Chinese are in the same position
now. High quality is available in China but no one is bringing it into the
US. There is no money in it.