Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
I had to take my iPod Touch back for exactly that problem. The
connector is soldered to the PC board, and one of the solder
connections broke loose. If I could have opened it up, it would
have taken literally seconds to re-touch the connection and fix it.
Of course, it would have also voided the warranty and presented
a significant possibility of damage to the case, glass panel, etc.
But Apple preferred to exchange it for a brand new one. Perhaps
that's why they charge premium prices.

Nope, it simply costs far less for them to make a new one than to repair it.
They charge premium prices because they can. Someone has to pay for all the
advertising and huge profits.
Just be thankful it was still under warranty, they usually last just long
enough for the warranty to expire. And let's not even mention battery
replacement!

MrT.