el pee

Default Loft conversion joists

neil

which supplier did you find that does the design of the ibeam as well ?

I have a 7 M span

cheers
larry

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Don't use steel RSJs in a loft conversion. This is total overkill. Use
Masonite "I" beams. http://www.masonite-beams.se

Their smallest is 200mm deep, which is too great. I'd might as well use
220mm timber. I'm really looking for sub 100mm, so it fits inside the
existing ceiling joists. Headroom is everything. I'm willing to pay 10

times
as much as a simple timber solution to bring down the depth.

I'm planning a loft conversion and am considering composite wooden I-beam
joists which are 9" deep by 2" wide. See an earlier post, but basically
they are light, come in up to 50' lengths and only require 600mm between
each joist - the suppliers also do the design which keeps the BCO happy.
I'm hanging mine from the wall plate that the current ceiling joists and
roof rafters are attached. But my ceiling need to be replaced anyway.
This way I gain 3" of head space.

Can you describe your roofing system and cost. It seems just what I'm
after - I was considering using the warm roof insulation battens
available from Screwfix.

Neil