Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default On the level

Bill wrote:
"Tanus" wrote in message ...
Swingman wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Dec 14, 2:56 am, "Bill" wrote:

I use those Black and Decker Laser Level things. They work reasonably
well.

Where I need more than one fastener to hang something, I will mark
(and drive a finish nail temporarily) or position the first fastener
and lay the (ordinary 4' level) upon it to locate the next fastener -
repeating as necessary. Then, using a line between the first and last
marks, "measure twice" or double check my work.

Simpler and more precise: Use 1x board that is a bit longer than the
distance between the two end fasteners, hold board up to piece to be
hung, transfer/mark fastener positions to board, level board on the wall,
transfer marks off board to wall.

Yep

Nice idea. What's a good way when the distance is 30 feet or so (for
instance if you were building two structures that you wanted to "match")?
Guess that's when it's time for one of those laser levels, no?

I have three laser levels, none of which I would usually bother to take
out to "hang something" on the wall, unless, of course, it was a row of
kitchen cabinets ...

So yep ... they do come in handy.

--
www.e-woodshop.net