Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Winch power supply

If you read my reply from a couple of days back, it shows a reference
for a very similar winch and lists no load current of 95 amps at 12
volts nominal. Under load it goes up to well above 400 amps. The exact
curve can be calculated from the data in the above mentioned chart but
your application would SWAG out at 150 to 200 amps. That is a BIG power
supply. If you happen to have a clapped out 220 volt MIG welder, you
could run it on 120 volts and it would be about right.

Steve B wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Steve sez:
"Since it is 12v. what would I use as a power supply that would give me
the same as
an automotive setup?"

The simple answer is: A battery of the same rating as used in an
automotive setup.

Bob Swinney
I didn't state that I wanted to use an AC power source, and not have the
falderal of maintaining a battery. That is why I asked that question.
Please reread and try again.

Steve

Nice.

OK, IMHO the proper answer is "ask a better question".
There's absolutely no way to know how much current the
winch will draw given the information you have supplied.

If I were doing this, and I wouldn't, I'd buy the winch,
hook it to a car battery, lift/pull the max load that
I'd want it to handle while measuring its current draw.
I'd then build/buy a 12 volt power supply with a current
capacity of 150 to 200 percent greater than I measured.

The problem is that the power supply will likely be far
bigger/more expensive than you'll want.

Thank you for the clear succinct answer. I am impressed by your ability to
do so from such a poorly worded question. I think it is because of your
"answer the question" rather than "beat them up first, THEN answer the
question ad hominem" approach.

Steve ;-)