Niel A. Farrow

Default Loft conversion joists

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Can you describe your roofing system and cost. It seems just what I'm
after - I was considering using the warm roof insulation battens
available from Screwfix.

Firstly, it requires the entire roof covering, battens and felt (if present)
to be removed. It isn't a simple retrofit job. Basically, it can't be done
with the conventional roofing felt in place. The breathable sarking membrane
is ESSENTIAL to allow the wooden rafters to remain dry.

--------+------------+----------- Slates/tiles
--------+------------+-----------
################################# Battening
## Counter battening
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Breathable sarking membrane
----+----+-----------------------
| |
|R'tr| Kingspan Thermapitch 75mm Insulation + Rafters
| | TP10 zero ODP
Kingspan Thermawall TW56 zero ODP 25mm Insulation

See http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/newdiv/pdf/tp10.pdf

I am stripping the roof. Do I need the counter battens. Counter battens
may raise my roof tiles above my neighbours since I'm in an end terrace.
Cheers,
Neil