Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)

In article , "Peter Larsen" wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:

David Combs wrote:

Subj: stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix
(replace=impossible)

Problem with mini-jacks (TRS) for headphones: after a bit of use,
seems like the female part ("jack"?) widens-out inside somewhere,
making for a lousy connection between the radio or walkman (ancient
word) or mp3-player and the earphones. Off on off on bzzz off etc.
HORRIBLE LISTENING
(if you can call it "listening"!)

Has this happened with more than one MP3 device? With more than one
set of headphones?

I've spent a lot of time listening to walkman stereo for nearly 30
years and don't recall any trouble with a jack. Once I thought I had
a loose sleeve because the plug fit a little loosely and the sound
would sometimes get faint and monophonic. It was months before it
dawned on me that it was not the jack but a broken ground wire in the
plug.

I recall way back in the 1970'ties that minijacks came in two sizes.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

2.5 mm
3.5 mm

I have problems with plugs and jack all the time. I fixed an Apple laptop
this year with bad connections to board. It all had to come apart
to fix. I plug a cheap set of phones into the computer the other day
and no sound. Wet the plug with saliva and it worked fine.

greg