Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Winch power supply

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Steve sez:
"Since it is 12v. what would I use as a power supply that would give me
the same as
an automotive setup?"

The simple answer is: A battery of the same rating as used in an
automotive setup.

Bob Swinney

I didn't state that I wanted to use an AC power source, and not have the
falderal of maintaining a battery. That is why I asked that question.
Please reread and try again.

Steve

Nice.

OK, IMHO the proper answer is "ask a better question".
There's absolutely no way to know how much current the
winch will draw given the information you have supplied.

If I were doing this, and I wouldn't, I'd buy the winch,
hook it to a car battery, lift/pull the max load that
I'd want it to handle while measuring its current draw.
I'd then build/buy a 12 volt power supply with a current
capacity of 150 to 200 percent greater than I measured.

The problem is that the power supply will likely be far
bigger/more expensive than you'll want.

Thank you for the clear succinct answer. I am impressed by your ability to
do so from such a poorly worded question. I think it is because of your
"answer the question" rather than "beat them up first, THEN answer the
question ad hominem" approach.

Steve ;-)