Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default Winch power supply

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:14:15 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 15, 12:08 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I have a winch I can buy for $200 that is almost brand new. It is a
12v.
Vortec 9500 # winch. I can use it for some skidding I need to do onto
my
trailer, but then, would hang it on an I beam dolly for hoisting.
Since it
is 12v. what would I use as a power supply that would give me the same
as
an automotive setup?

Steve

Most 12volt winches are not rated as hoists. None of them are rated for
overhead use either as many don't have proper braking or spools rated
for it.

--
Steve W.

Correct...your $200 winch is NOT a hoist.

People have died because they haven't understood the difference.

The law of gravity applies to everyone...and doesn't give a damn if
you get killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TMT

A 2000 lb winch makes a pretty acceptable 200 lb hoist.

The hoist in question is rated 9500#. I want one to bolt to a 20'+ trailer
so I can go drag on some free telephone poles locally to use on my ranch for
fence posts and a basis for a fort for the grandkids. When used overhead,
it would be used to transfer materials, maximum 500#, and used to help lift
and spin gates and sections of tubular steel fencing, probably 150# tops.
If I was to really lift anything questionable, I would simply double the
line, and that should reduce the pull enough so that the small amount of
braking and natural resistance of the gears would hold the load in place
until it can be lowered.

I have one of the cheap 500# HF hoists at my cabin, just to raise and lower
groceries and luggage, and it works stupendously as it never has over 50# on
it at any time. The rotating swing arm I made works super, too.

My wife even complimented me on it when she saw how much easier it was even
though I did go through weeks of needling during construction and
installation, being accused of severe overkill. I have gotten several
compliments from guests, too, who don't have to schlep their baggage up and
down stairs.

So, good enough is good enough until you start to get close to safe working
load and all that stuff. This will do more than I want it to. And be safe,
too.

Steve

Well then, if you're gonna do that with it I'd suggest putting a
properly rated knife switch right by where the controls for it are
gonna be used, just in case, cause it can really suck when relay
contacts get
welded together. Just my .02.

Mike