Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth the car?

Dave Osborne pretended :
No. If the battery charger is double insulated, then the only issue is
preventing the chassis becoming live from a fault on the mains cable. Cover
the mains lead in plastic conduit and ensure that it can't chafe or snag on
anything. Make sure you plug in to an RCD-protected supply.

I do it the other way around...

Lidl charger is in a bracket, up in the garage roof, with a 12v cable
fitted with a ciggy plug dangling down to car. As I park, I pull the
ciggy plug in and plug it in. The ciggy socket has to be the type which
is on all the time, which depends upon the car.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)