Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I tightened up a 1/4" lag screw that I bought from Home Depot earlier this
evening. It was screwed into 1.5" fir after pre-drilling with a 1/8" pilot
hole.

After it bottomed out, I turned it just a little bit more, holding a 3/8"
ratchet handle close to the shaft, not out on the handle. I wasn't giving
it much torque, just making sure that it was secure, when it turned to
butter.

It was less torque tha I have used in the past to tighten drywall screws.

Here is the result:

http://i45.tinypic.com/35i981s.jpg

On the plus side, it was really easy to drill a little hole in the piece
that is still left in the wood (the hole is for the EZ out).

I'm actually glad that this came apart on me; at least I know to get some
halfway decent ones now before something failed with more catastrophic
results.

Be careful what you build with the fasteners you buy from the bulk bin at
Home Depot.

I've had the very same thing happen to me in non-HD hardware, about 20 years
ago, using a ratchet, with an anchor in masonry, with a bit more torque than
for drywall, but still surprising. Could have been a crappy quality as
well, but it sure spooked me on lag bolts.

Stainless is an option, as well.

As others have commented, HD is no bargain, and stuff that appears like a
bargain is usually so low in quality as to be near useless, like their
low-priced ply, etc.
Others have mentioned that reputable companies sposedly have "HD versions",
like Bosch, etc. No doubt true for bulk items.

HD, Staples, and all rest are boils on the asses of their respective areas,
rotting our social fabric, and grinning examples of anti-trust-type
violations.

Heh, yet I go to HD at least 1x/month.... well, cuz their Hitler-esque plan
worked!
Wait 'til they start closing their stores, so's you gotta travel 50 miles,
on top of it all.
--
EA

Jon