Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24622 Ignoramus24622 is offline

Default Winch power supply

On 2009-12-16, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18922" wrote in message
SteveB, manual chain hoists are very cheap and are much safer and more
straightforward for lifting, than this winch. I join the rest in
suggesting to use the winch for pulling and a chain hoist for
lifting.

With my back and shoulders, I like the push button variety. This will be
for winching, sure. But for lifting, it will be for very light lifting.
Unless, of course, I decide to buy a real hoist, which will probably be the
case, since I can just leave it in place.

Chain hoists are easy to operate, no big efforts are required. With my
"2-ton" chain hoist, a child can operate one, specifically a 8 year
old.

Theis minus is that though they are easy to run, they are slow. For me
personally, it does not matter much, as I use them rarely.

I actually sold a 1/4 ton electric Harrington hoist last week because
I never had a need for it.