Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default A cord is a cord, of course, of course ......

On Dec 15, 8:28*pm, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I saw once where they took lengths of rounds, full cuts of tree trunk, and
stacked them 8' x 8' x 4' to equal 128 cubic feet. *They then split the
wood, and had a lot more than a cord.

I saw an ad that a man was selling cords of wood for $140, and rounds for
$100, but not specifying the quantity on the rounds. *If it is a cord of
rounds, I can split it with my splitter, and I would estimate that I could
get nearly two cords out of that. *For $100 vs. $140, that would be a good
deal.

Does anyone know what the conversion factor would be? *Cord for cord, at $40
cheaper, the rounds are a better deal.

Steve

What is a cord?
A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
• One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths.
• If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when
ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a
truck.
• If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet
when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely
into a truck. (Minnesota Statutes, Section 239.33)- Hide quoted text -

NOw that is an oddity I hadn't heard of. Makes sense though as ti
allows for the 'volume will grow after splitting' fact.

Harry K