Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Four questions about actual antennas and installation

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:20:10 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:46:25 -0800, Bob wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:

1. Use the color set if you can as it will be more sensitive to
ghosting

Ghosts and snow don't exist with digital TV. You either have a signal
or you don't.

No snow or ghosts, but that last thing is NOT true. Maybe you've never
experienced a variable (and SOMETIMES adequate) signal. The picture
becomes a mess of oversize pixels and the audio turns into
"bip....bup....bop......" (erratic semi-vocal noises).

I havne't gotten any noises, but I've certainly gotten checkerboards.

Why do the "authorities" continue to say that the picture is always
good? Don't they ever watch weak stations?

I haven't gotten noises but I get interruptions in picture and sound.

In fact every time I turn one of those transformer-base lamps on OR
off, the sound stops for a split second, and I think the
wall-switch/ceiling fixture does the same thing. I find this quite
amazing.

To best aim the antenna you will need a signal strength
meter. Some TVs and converter boxes have them.

My converter box has that, but it means moving the box around and
plugging the power supply. I'll probably just use the DVDR which
doesn't have it, but as long as I can see which channels work, that
should be enough. (If not, I can do it the other way next.) I see
that I didn't mention this, but all 10 DC stations, of which I now
only get 2, are within 4 degrees of each other, and I think within 10
degrees of the direction of the trusses in my attic. I think there
will be room to turn the antenna 10 degrees, especially if I move the
the mini-mast I'll be hanging from the 2x4 I put between 2 adjacent
trusses.

It may take a lot of spatial imagination. Supposedly I'm good at that,
so that part of it should be fun. Unless it takes too long.

Yes, and I hope you don't have to waste too much time fighting the
timeouts.

Thank you.