Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)

In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

Subj: stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)

Problem with mini-jacks (TRS) for headphones: after a bit of use, seems like
the female part ("jack"?) widens-out inside somewhere, making for a lousy
connection between the radio or walkman (ancient word) or mp3-player
and the earphones. Off on off on bzzz off etc. HORRIBLE LISTENING (if you
can
call it "listening"!)

Possible analogy:n

With standard screw-in lightbulbs, that springy copper strip in the
back of the socket, which, when the bulb is fully screwed-in, touches
the center-of-base-of-lightbulb connector; wonderful!

But, sometimes that strip is no longer sprung-forward
enough to make the connection.

How to fix? Off the circuit, then with
some needlenose pliers you pull the end of that copper strip away from
the base a wee bit, and presto, bulb bottom now touches it again when fully
screwed-in:

Let there be light -- and (again) it was so.

QUESTION: is there some similar fix for the socket for headphone plugs?

FWIW: picture of a jack (wrong size maybe, but shows the principle of the
thing):
http://www.suite101.com/view_image.cfm/823549

What might be the problem? Perhaps (see photo) the metal thingie that
sticks out and touches the "ring" (TRS - tip ring sleeve) of the plug
-- perhaps that got pushed back a bit, via wear. (More likely, by
being CHEAPLY made, ie you know where, and for cheapest possible
price)

What kind of device might fix this?

Maybe some kind of cork-screw-like plug that you plug into (at a
certain rotation-angle?) the jack, and by *carefully* and with *sensitive
nerves on the fingertips", you can tell when the tip of the corkscrew-thing
hits that ring-toucher, and a SLIGHT extra twist will bend it a tiny bit
back towards the center.

Surely there is SOMETHING like this existing?

Or at least some other way to fix it "in situ", *without* having to replace
it.

------

Note: what I have is a Sansa "clip" mp3-player; it's like one inch by
2/3 inch by 1/5th inch thick, with the jack on the side of the thing.
Ain't no way either you or I will be able to open it up and replace
that thing, not unless you are a watchmaker.

The Sansa Clip costs between $50 and $70, depending on the num gigabytes;
sure don't want to have to toss one each time that el-cheapo jack wears out!

Ideas?

THANKS!

David

It wouldn't surprise me if the jack contacts were bent and no longer
make good contact with the plug. But it's also quite possible that a
drop of contact cleaner and a few insertion/extraction cycles will clear
up the symptoms.

As far as being a watchmaker, well, when something already doesn't work,
I'm not intimidated to take it apart. Your skill set might surprise you.