Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default On the level

"Bill" wrote in message

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring
more
than
1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day
without one, which I ended up doing twice.
... snip

While a level is sometimes important for such projects, there are
other
times you don't want what you are mounting level, you want it parallel
the ceiling (for a flat ceiling).

I was thinking about using my jointer plane (and others) on work in a
vise
(or on the workbench). I thought I read that it was important that the
work be level,
and this makes sense to me for several reasons. One may be so that one
may
use ones internal sense of "down" (i.e. gravity) to guide the cut. I
speak without
much experience; comments always welcome.

Bill

The bench that my large vise is mounted to is "sorta" level. Depending on
how much of a hurry I'm in, the piece to be planed may or may not be even
with the jaws of the vise.

And you're right. The piece you're working on should be close to being
level or at least parallel (kinda) to the floor.

But it's like Leon was saying about the curtain rods. If you mount a
piece of wood into the vise and it looks ok, it likely is. When you're
pushing through on a plane stroke, the plane sole will follow the edge of
the wood by itself. And your push stroke will follow the lead of the
plane, within reason.

There are quite a number of things to think about when you're planing a
piece of wood, and when you're new at it, some of them are critical if
you want a smooth surface. Having the piece dead-nuts level to the floor
or the bench isn't one of them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a level. I've had one for
years, and if I lost it, I'd immediately get another one. I just never
use it inside the shop.

YMMV

Tanus

Nice post. One thing I've learned from this thread is that one doesn't
alway
want things to be level, necessarily. I was thinking about arranging some
chunks of broken concrete to create curved walls encompassing a tree or
flower bed (or both). Is a level good for that or do I need a transit
(too)? ; )

Bill

I don't want to make it seem like I want to post replies to my own post, but
the
following laser level seems like an easy way of making all of one's "flower
beds"
are the same height--or at least the same elevation... Not sure which of
these is better.
My dad, RIP, would have liked to tell me. He was a civil engineer and
outstanding at landscaping.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...208&lpage=none

Bill