Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plotter as plasma cutter

I remember them - even worked on one. I suspect the underparts
are not set up for 3000 degree beam or hot metal.

Also the head isn't strong enough (IIRC) for a plasma torch dragging
a cable overhead.

Just my guess. Hope you have one to look at and made decisions.

A gantry overhead is needed...

A laser might be easier for thin metals.

Martin

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago I used to work with 'flatbed' plotters before we all
switched to drum plotters and then ink jet heads driven upon roll
plotters..
Typical plotter sizes were 48 inch x 36 inch. Thereupon was a track
mechanism (x and y) driving a single pen. Sadly, I junked several of
the above, but could probably find some by calling around.

Do you guys think one of the above would be easily convertible to a
plasma cutter? Of course I would only keep the track assembly (lose the
board) and mount it to a properly designed cutting table. Would the
servos be strong enough to take the weight of a cutting tip? Seems that
programming should be pretty easy. Most plotters had simply x and y jog
instructions and could plot by coordinates.

All thoughts appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary