Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Romex wire hookup

"dpb" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

Considering that many, if not most ,main service panels in the US only
have one neutral/ground buss, how do you not mix neutrals and grounds?

Any I've seen in the recent past have two. The service-only panels have
the neutral buss also grounded to the cabinet but still have two busbars.

Even my ancient FPE stuff was built that way...

There are a number of manufacturers, each makes a pile of panel styles, with
a multitude of neutral/ground buss arrangements. In the US , regardless of
the buss arrangements, if they are attached together, attached to the
service neutral, and the grounding electrode system, you can attach both
neutrals and grounds to them.
There are some panels made, which Bud made reference to, that have an
equipment grounding "only" buss. This buss is attached to the frame of the
panel only, and not to the service neutral conductor except via the steel of
the cabinet. It may be that in Canada, this type of arrangement is what's
required by code