Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Ryobi Battery Charger?

"CWLee" wrote in
m:

"hr(bob) " wrote

How long does it take for the self-discharge to discharge
them when
you are unhappy.

I don't know how long it takes. I only make use of these
cordless tools on a random basis. When something breaks
that requires drilling or cutting I put one of the batteries
into the tool and go to work. I can only get about 15
minutes of sawing or drilling before there is a noticeable
weakness. Then I put the battery in use on the charger, use
the spare until it gives out, and sometimes I've finished
the project by then; if not, I take a break until the green
light comes on showing fully charged. Then I can saw and
drill much longer - I don't know because I've never reached
that maximum usage level with a freshly charged battery.

Thanks for your comments.

with your type of intermittent usage,you need tools that use the Lithium
ion batteries. They retain something like 80% charge after 6 months.

I would also select tools that come with a 1 hour charger.
My old Makita 6095 uses 9.6V sticks,and they charge in a hour,so I recharge
them before starting a job.Makita sells some cordless tools with lithium
packs,but they are not inexpensive.Black& decker sells some lower cost Li-
ion tools.

ISTR that Ryobi chargers take 3-5 hrs or even overnight.

Maybe they sell Li-ion packs for your present tool,but you'd likely need a
new charger,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik